Congratulations to Jamie Whincup - 2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship Winner

Coates Hire Newcastle 500

Anything relating to the Supercar Series
Wiked
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Make: HOLDEN
Driver: Craig Lowndes
Team: Red Bull Racing Australia

Coates Hire Newcastle 500

Post by Wiked » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Well I would have to say that last race today (Sunday) was an interesting race.

I was happy for Scott McLaughlin to win the championship as he was certainly best throughout the year but everything that could go wrong did.

When both the Shell V-Power cars got a drive through for pit lane speeding I thought to myself why the hell didn't they put the speed limiter down to say 38 just to be sure when so much was on the line and Scott only need to finish 11th (if Whincup won). Not sure exactly but it couldn't be hard one would think. Then when Scott turn Simona around I thought it was all over but then Taz Douglas bought out the SC to compress the field. What else could go wrong. Plenty it seemed as the racing went on.

Anyway it is a shame that there will be debate for quite sometime whether the penalty for Scott on the last lap was warranted. I really hoped the championship would be decided outright with no controversy but I guess it is what it is. Obviously Scott did run Lowndes over to the fence but as the fence came out some 400mm and the bump will have everyone choosing a side.

Overall it's Jamie Whincup who has won and winning 7 championships is no easy feat.
RIP - Peter Brock [26/2/45 – 8/9/06]

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official
Driver: Garth Tander
Team: Walkinshaw Racing

Re: Coates Hire Newcastle 500

Post by robhealy86 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 pm

I too was really hoping Scott would win the championship. He has been the best driver over the course of the year (despite being slightly error prone) & comes across as humble & really like-able. I thought after Whincup's puncture & subsequent shunt on Saturday that Scott would be a shoe-in after winning the first race & both poles.

The drive-thru for the speeding in pit lane was silly & something that should have been avoided. I really don't know why Scott didn't back it off slightly on entry because points was all that counted at that point - all he had to do was remain up the sharp end so loosing a few spots wouldn't have been the end of the world.

The move on Simona was really stupid & I was shattered for her to be taken out after such an awesome weekend for her. I think Scott was far too impatient there & easily could have followed behind her for longer to make sure he got the job done cleanly. The 15sec penalty was warranted there.

The Lowndes scenario was also avoidable however Scott needed the position to win. I think at that point he was desperate & beginning to push the car past the limits & thus made the mistake running wide at the first corner. Once that mistake was made Craig was always going to get him - I think Scott realised too late & didn't give Craig the room he deserved by pressurising Scott into the mistake in the first place. The wall sticking out was unfortunate & unacceptable in terms of circuit design but that was the track they had to work with & would have been noted in DJRTP's track walk. Although the equivalent of a drive-thru was quickly done & perhaps could of been discussed with both parties prior to being dealt, the correct decision was made in my mind.

All in all, at the end of the day Scott & DJRTP have been the best all year but didn't deserve it that day to be honest as they buckled under the pressure. Based on that day alone, Jamie was superior but I think it was a massively disappointing result for Scott.

kennymiesta
Clerk of Course
Clerk of Course
Driver: Greg Murphy
Team: Holden Racing Team

Re: Coates Hire Newcastle 500

Post by kennymiesta » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:56 pm

robhealy86 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 pm
I too was really hoping Scott would win the championship. He has been the best driver over the course of the year (despite being slightly error prone) & comes across as humble & really like-able. I thought after Whincup's puncture & subsequent shunt on Saturday that Scott would be a shoe-in after winning the first race & both poles.

The drive-thru for the speeding in pit lane was silly & something that should have been avoided. I really don't know why Scott didn't back it off slightly on entry because points was all that counted at that point - all he had to do was remain up the sharp end so loosing a few spots wouldn't have been the end of the world.

The move on Simona was really stupid & I was shattered for her to be taken out after such an awesome weekend for her. I think Scott was far too impatient there & easily could have followed behind her for longer to make sure he got the job done cleanly. The 15sec penalty was warranted there.

The Lowndes scenario was also avoidable however Scott needed the position to win. I think at that point he was desperate & beginning to push the car past the limits & thus made the mistake running wide at the first corner. Once that mistake was made Craig was always going to get him - I think Scott realised too late & didn't give Craig the room he deserved by pressurising Scott into the mistake in the first place. The wall sticking out was unfortunate & unacceptable in terms of circuit design but that was the track they had to work with & would have been noted in DJRTP's track walk. Although the equivalent of a drive-thru was quickly done & perhaps could of been discussed with both parties prior to being dealt, the correct decision was made in my mind.

All in all, at the end of the day Scott & DJRTP have been the best all year but didn't deserve it that day to be honest as they buckled under the pressure. Based on that day alone, Jamie was superior but I think it was a massively disappointing result for Scott.
Couldn't of said it better myself
There's nothing quite like a Holden