Senior Official
Senior Official
Make: HOLDEN
Driver: Garth Tander
Team: Walkinshaw Racing

2017 Walkinshaw Racing News / Updates

Post by robhealy86 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Walkinshaw confirms Courtney, Pye for 2017

Walkinshaw Racing has confirmed James Courtney and Scott Pye as its driver line-up to contest next year’s Supercars Championship.

As previously reported, 2010 Supercars champion Courtney will remain at the Clayton squad and will be joined by new recruit Pye, who arrives from DJR Team Penske.

The announcement leaves current Walkinshaw driver Garth Tander without a seat at the operation next season.

Courtney has signed a new three-year deal at the Holden team which will stretch until the end of 2019.

The Gold-Coast-based racer had been tempted by an offer to race in Japanese GT but says he has unfinished business in Supercars with Walkinshaw Racing.

“When I first came to Walkinshaw Racing I set myself the goal to win another championship with this team and I’m even more determined now to achieve that,” said Courtney.

“Everyone in the team, from engineering staff to management and commercial, have all put a ridiculous amount of effort into preparing my car and giving me the opportunity to win races.

“I’ve also put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this team and would hate it if I walked away from here and someone else rolled in and started getting all the success we have worked so hard for.

“The first contract I signed with the team I did with Tom (Walkinshaw) and he saw me as the guy to help bring the team back to where it needed to be, so I made the commitment to him that I would do everything I could to help him, and now Ryan, achieve that.

“I certainly believe it’s possible to win another championship here.

“If I didn’t think that, then I wouldn’t still be here – I’m as loyal, committed and enthusiastic about the future of the team as I have ever been.”

Meanwhile, South Australian, Pye, has penned a multi-year agreement with the squad after losing his drive at DJR Team Penske to Scott McLaughlin next year.

The 26-year-old will relocate to Melbourne to ease his transition to Walkinshaw Racing.

“When the opportunity came up to sign with Walkinshaw Racing it’s something I didn’t have to think too long about,” said Pye.

“Since joining the championship in 2012 I haven’t really had any real continuity and I’m excited about having the next three years locked away and knowing that I will be working with the same group of people.

“It’s a team that has proven what they are capable of and even this year there has been some tough times, but the way they have turned it around has been impressive.”

Team owner Ryan Walkinshaw believes securing the driver-line up was a crucial step for the team as it looks to rebuild after losing factory support from Holden.

He has also thanked Tander for his 12-year stint at the operation, which includes 50 wins and two Bathurst 1000 victories.

“There will be many changes and exciting announcements for the team in the coming months and the first key element was securing competitive drivers,” said Walkinshaw.

“James was offered substantial deals from other teams down pit lane and abroad, and we are thrilled that he decided to stay with us and be part of our exciting future.

“Scott brings new energy and ideas, and has demonstrated he can mix it with the best in Supercars.

“Garth was our longest ever serving driver and achieved an incredible amount of success for the team including 50 race wins, 26 pole positions, 72 podiums, two Bathurst wins and a Driver’s Championship.

“He will always be considered a brother to the Walkinshaw family and we wish him the very best of luck with his future.”

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/09/23/wal ... -pye-2017/

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official

Re: 2017 Walkinshaw Racing News / Updates

Post by robhealy86 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:14 pm

As a big GT fan, I find this decision really disappointing & although I saw it coming it still hurts. It is no secret that the HRT cars have been letting the drivers down this year (the last few years for that matter) & Garth especially hasn't been up to scratch in qualifying but has been fantastic moving forward in the races. GT has been complaining about the handling of the car & the fact it doesn't respond to changes for much of the year. The sad part is right when the new car comes along & Tander/Luff win Sandown (superbly I might add) - the biggest win for HRT since Bathurst 2011 - he is let go by the team. It seems like a case of too little, too late in terms of results. I think in a way this could be a blessing in disguise for GT in that moving to another team & equipment might re-invigorate the latter stages of his career

I've read a lot of negative comments directed towards Garth today indicating he is not a good driver - you don't win a championship ('07), 3 Bathurst's ('00, '09, '11), 3 PI/Sandown 500s ('08, '09, '16), 54 races, 141 podiums & 29 pole positions from 500+ races without being a brilliant driver! He has had an outstanding career so far & on his day is one of the very best drivers around. Like him or not, there is no-one who can honestly tell me that hasn't always given all he has got to get the most out of the equipment he has been given.

Statistically speaking that makes him the 4th best driver V8 Supercars has ever had & the 3rd best on the current grid - not bad for a #2 driver (literally, well for the rest of this year at least)! :grin:

kennymiesta
Clerk of Course
Clerk of Course
Driver: Greg Murphy
Team: Holden Racing Team

Post by kennymiesta » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:49 pm

robhealy86 wrote:As a big GT fan, I find this decision really disappointing & although I saw it coming it still hurts. It is no secret that the HRT cars have been letting the drivers down this year (the last few years for that matter) & Garth especially hasn't been up to scratch in qualifying but has been fantastic moving forward in the races. GT has been complaining about the handling of the car & the fact it doesn't respond to changes for much of the year. The sad part is right when the new car comes along & Tander/Luff win Sandown (superbly I might add) - the biggest win for HRT since Bathurst 2011 - he is let go by the team. It seems like a case of too little, too late in terms of results. I think in a way this could be a blessing in disguise for GT in that moving to another team & equipment might re-invigorate the latter stages of his career

I've read a lot of negative comments directed towards Garth today indicating he is not a good driver - you don't win a championship ('07), 3 Bathurst's ('00, '09, '11), 3 PI/Sandown 500s ('08, '09, '16), 54 races, 141 podiums & 29 pole positions from 500+ races without being a brilliant driver! He has had an outstanding career so far & on his day is one of the very best drivers around. Like him or not, there is no-one who can honestly tell me that hasn't always given all he has got to get the most out of the equipment he has been given.

Statistically speaking that makes him the 4th best driver V8 Supercars has ever had & the 3rd best on the current grid - not bad for a #2 driver (literally, well for the rest of this year at least)! :grin:
I agree 100%. He is still one of the best steerers in the category, and the Sandown weekend showed that. To be able to handle that car with the guard the way it was and not make a mistake for 30 minutes of racing with Van Gisbergan clsoing down on him shows that he still has what it takes to win races. I am a bit upset that he was given the boot from the team, but I am also excited to see what Pye can do now he has a little bit of continuity for the next few years. I hope Garth can land in a good competitive car for next year and showcase his talent.
There's nothing quite like a Holden

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official

Post by robhealy86 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:11 pm

kennymiesta wrote:I agree 100%. He is still one of the best steerers in the category, and the Sandown weekend showed that. To be able to handle that car with the guard the way it was and not make a mistake for 30 minutes of racing with Van Gisbergan clsoing down on him shows that he still has what it takes to win races. I am a bit upset that he was given the boot from the team, but I am also excited to see what Pye can do now he has a little bit of continuity for the next few years. I hope Garth can land in a good competitive car for next year and showcase his talent.
It wasn't just the last 30 minutes with the damaged car that amazed even me kenny - it was the whole event! I don't think Luffy or GT made a single mistake over the whole weekend regardless of the conditions. Luffy was super impressive & put in the best performance he has had as a co-driver (possibly as a driver full stop). Cars were sliding off left, right & centre during the warm-up & 500 itself but other than Garth slightly touching the wet curb & catching it, car #2 never left the circuit & was probably the only car not to leave the black stuff at some point. I'm so glad they won as they really stood up & deserved that victory!

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official

Post by robhealy86 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:11 pm

It appears Walkinshaw is going with the Mobil HSV Racing name for 2017. This picture was snapped (not by me) in Melbourne yesterday:

So it seems the helmet/lion logo will appear on the ex-HRT cars afterall!

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official

Post by robhealy86 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:36 pm

Walkinshaw Racing linked to be named Mobil HSV Racing

http://apexnews.co.nz/walkinshaw-racing ... sv-racing/

Rumours have flooded in about Walkinshaw Racing becoming Mobil HSV Racing in this year’s championship after Holden stripped them of the HRT branding and sponsorship dollars.

A race fan took a picture (above post) of what is believed to be Walkinshaw Racing’s newly painted transporter that shows Shark Bite will remain as a sponsor but also a sticker saying Mobil 1 HSV Racing.

Walkinshaw Racing will launch their new team name and new livery for the 2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship on February 6th, the day after the Liqui Molly Bathurst 12 Hour which Walkinshaw Racing is racing in with two Porsche 911GT3-R.

The Melbourne team will retain one of their star drivers James Courtney while replacing the outgoing Garth Tander with young gun Scott Pye who was replaced at DJR Team Penske.

They told another media outlet, Speedcafe.com, that they have been facing a challenge of re-inventing an identity that fans can become passionate about again like with Holden Racing Team.

“We haven’t got the same name over the door but we are not going to call ourselves a new team like everybody else seems to do,” Walkinshaw managing director Adrian Burgess told Speedcafe.com.

“We finished the year off strongly and we were very competitive at the final event in Sydney. GT won for us at Sandown and we were becoming more competitive.”

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official

Post by robhealy86 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:21 pm

HSV Racing Concept Liveries:

camaroguy
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Driver: Shane Van Gisbergen

Post by camaroguy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37 pm

robhealy86 wrote:HSV Racing Concept Liveries:

love this one.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall.

Torque is how far you push it.

kennymiesta
Clerk of Course
Clerk of Course
Driver: Greg Murphy

Post by kennymiesta » Fri May 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Speedcafe.com

Walkinshaw confirms Adrian Burgess exit
Adrian Burgess (left) has left Walkinshaw Racing

Walkinshaw Racing has confirmed the departure of team manager Adrian Burgess with immediate effect.

News of Burgess’ departure from the team broke earlier in the afternoon with the team being informed for his contract has been terminated.

The announcement arrives after a particularly poor start to the season from the Clayton operation, currently lying sixth in the teams’ standings following a lacklustre Perth Super Sprint last weekend.

Just days ago, the team’s high-profile driver James Courtney openly described the team’s performance as “embarrassing” after he managed to only qualify 20th for Sunday’s Race 8 of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship.

Burgess’ tenure with the team officially began in 2014 after being poached from Triple Eight Race Engineering midway through 2013.

Team owner Ryan Walkinshaw says the time is right for a fresh approach for his squad.

“It has obviously been a difficult start to the year from a racing perspective, and I came to the conclusion that a fresh start was the way forward,” said Walkinshaw.

“We appreciate Adrian’s focus and hard work over the last three years, and we wish him all the best in the future.

“The entire team will continue to work hard and are extremely passionate about achieving success. It is not in our nature to step back from the challenges that racing in such a competitive category presents us.”

Mathew Nilsson will step into the role of Acting General Manager of Motorsport while a search is undertaken for a permanent replacement.

Nilsson who is currently the Business Development Manager with Walkinshaw Racing, has extensive experience across numerous Supercar teams and organisations, and will continue to oversee Walkinshaw Racing’s GT program.

The team has confirmed that no other structural changes have been made following Burgess’ departure.
There's nothing quite like a Holden