Congratulations to Jamie Whincup - 2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship Winner

2015 Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport - News / Updates

Anything relating to the Supercar Series
kennymiesta
Clerk of Course
Clerk of Course
Make: HOLDEN
Driver: Greg Murphy
Team: Holden Racing Team

2015 Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport - News / Updates

Post by kennymiesta » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:17 am

Speedcafe.com

CHAMPION CREW CHIEF SPEARHEADING LDM REBUILD
LDM will enter its sixth V8 Supercars season in 2015

Former championship winning crew chief Barry Hay will return to the V8 Supercars pitlane this season, leading a rejuvenated Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport.

The Queenslander has joined LDM after 15 years at Stone Brothers Racing/Erebus Motorsport, which included guiding Russell Ingall to the 2005 title.

Hay has been in a workshop-based role since suffering permanent inner ear damage when an air jack exploded during a pitstop at a test day in 2009.

After a lengthy recovery period and now equipped with specially imported noise-cancelling ear plugs, Hay says he’s ready to return to trackside action.

Relocating to Melbourne, Hay has effectively been handed the keys to LDM’s racing operations as it returns to a two-car line-up for the new season.

Walkinshaw Racing refugee Nick Percat has already been confirmed in the squad’s line-up, while Tim Blanchard leads the race to to secure the second seat.

The 27-year-old Blanchard co-drove with LDM during last year’s Pirtek Enduro Cup and has previous experience as a full-timer with Dick Johnson Racing in 2013.

Hay worked closely with Ingall during his time at SBR

Hay has already begun the task of recruiting new staff to the team, which will retain as few as two of its track crew from last year.

New faces include former Erebus mechanic Janelle Navaro, who will take-up the role of lead mechanic on one of the cars.

“We’ve had a massive clean out of the workshop, everything has been shaken-up and revisited,” Hay told Speedcafe.com.

“It’s just going to be a matter of getting the right people together, because I think we’ll have the drivers that we need.

“I wouldn’t have left a team that I’d been with for 15 years for something that I didn’t think had potential.

“I’ve been lucky enough to have spent a very long time working closely with the Stone brothers and you don’t realise how much guys of that quality have taught you until you get into this situation.

“I’d like to put in place a lot of the ideas that they had and a big part of that is people.

“The same key group of people basically didn’t shift there for eight years and you can see the same thing happening with Triple Eight now.

“A champion team will beat a team of champions all day long and that’s what I’m really trying to instil here.

“We (LDM) can only improve and I love that underdog status. It won’t be easy but if we work really hard and get the basics right, we’ll start to move forward.”

Brendan Hogan will continue as one of the team’s race engineers having worked alongside Scott Pye and Russell Ingall at the team in recent years.

Campbell Little, who joined LDM at several events during the latter stages of last season, is not expected to return to the team’s line-up.

Hay’s position will also see him involved in the squad’s commercial operations as it continues to work on sponsorship for the two cars.

Personal sponsors Coates Hire and Morris Finance are expected to follow Percat to the team, while 2014 backers Phil Munday and Holden are both set to remain part of the fold.
There's nothing quite like a Holden

kennymiesta
Clerk of Course
Clerk of Course

Re: 2015 Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport - News / Updates

Post by kennymiesta » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:36 pm

Speedcafe.com

LDM CONFIRMS TIM BLANCHARD FOR SECOND CAR
Tim Blanchard completes the expanded Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport line-up

Tim Blanchard’s V8 Supercars career has been revived with confirmation he has taken the second seat at Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport.

Blanchard will join Walkinshaw refugee Nick Percat in LDM’s expanded two-car operation for the 2015 Championship Series.

The former Development Series runner-up and winner of a Mike Kable Young Gun award, Blanchard partnered Russell Ingall at LDM in the Pirtek Enduro Cup format last season.

“After sitting out a year from full-time driving, I was determined to get back on the grid in 2015,” Blanchard said.

“When the opportunity arose to join Lucas and the team I was rather excited.

“Having worked with LDM last year it became evident that the team were making the rights steps in improving their performance.”

After making his debut in V8 Supercars in 2010, the 27-year old was left without a drive last year after one season full-time with Dick Johnson Racing.

“I learnt a lot throughout 2013 and feel I am much better prepared and have greater understanding of what is required to race at this level.”

“I feel much more prepared this time and really want to use my experience to hit the ground running and get some strong results to start the season.”

Team owner Lucas Dumbrell said discussions had been ongoing since the Sandown, Bathurst and Gold Coast shared driver races last year.

“We have been in discussions since last years enduros – he did a really good job and was consistent throughout,” Dumbrell said.

Blanchard will be in charge of the Triple Eight-built Commodore he shared with Ingall last year which has been completely rebuilt in the off season and will carry the #3 which signifies the number the driver used to win the 2007 Australian Formula Ford Championship.

Blanchard and Percat will turn their first laps in the LDM Commodores at the Sydney.com V8 Super Test at Sydney Motorsport Park from February 7-8.

kennymiesta
Clerk of Course
Clerk of Course

Post by kennymiesta » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Speedcafe.com

GAVIN REJOINS PERCAT FOR PIRTEK ENDURO CUP
Oliver Gavin read to tackle Pirtek Enduro Cup alongside Nick Percat at LDM

Experienced sportscar ace Oliver Gavin will continue to partner Nick Percat in V8 Supercars’ Pirtek Enduro Cup having agreed a deal with Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport.

The 42-year-old Brit partnered Percat at Walkinshaw Racing for last year’s enduro campaign, where he emerged as a solid co-driver.

The pairing finished eighth in the standings helped by an impressive third place at the marquee Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

New LDM recruit Percat has been keen to continue the partnership with Gavin admitting he was the only co-driver on his wish list for the enduros.

The Pirtek Enduro Cup season begins with the Wilson Security Sandown 500 from September 11-13.

“Oliver was the first and last driver on my list of who I wanted to drive with,” said Percat.

“I was adamant on having Oli back because he showed great speed, is a quality driver and brings a wealth of international and endurance racing experience.

“He’s a consummate professional and I know that both Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport and I can learn a lot from him. He’ll bring a lot of ideas on how we can continue to develop.

“We can focus on making sure our car is strong from the outset, because I know he can drive a V8 Supercar fast.”

Four-time Le Mans 24 Hour class winner Gavin believes the partnership of youth and experience was key to their success last year and is already looking forward to the enduro campaign.

“Nick and I had a great run at Bathurst and finishing on the podium was definitely a highlight of the year for me,” said Gavin.

“Nick and I are a great combination; we work well together, and are a strong mix of youth and experience, so I’m really looking forward to continuing what we started.”

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official
Driver: Garth Tander
Team: Walkinshaw Racing

Post by robhealy86 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Perkins to sub for Percat at Sydney 500

http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/11/30/per ... ydney-500/

Gold Coast race winner Jack Perkins is set to return to the V8 Supercars Championship this weekend, substituting for Nick Percat at Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport.

Percat will remain on the sidelines for the Coates Hire Sydney 500 as he continues to recover from an infection that took hold following a burn on his foot during the Castrol Gold Coast 600.

Having raced through severe pain from the initial injury at Pukekohe, Percat attempted to continue duties at Phillip Island, but withdrew on the Saturday morning after collapsing at the circuit.

The 27-year-old spent the subsequent three nights in hospital before returning to his home in Melbourne where he has continued to rest.

Paul Dumbrell took over from Percat at Phillip Island but will concentrate on his Dunlop Series duties with Eggleston Motorsport this weekend.

The LDM drive continues a series of substitute opportunities for Perkins, who was the lead driver in the Holden Racing Team’s #22 entry for three events due to James Courtney’s freak accident.

Perkins has also enjoyed recent miles aboard John Gourlay’s Audi Sports Sedan, recording nine straight wins while replacing the injured Darren Hossack.

Although a long-time friend of Lucas Dumbrell and one of several drivers linked to the team ahead of its inaugural season in 2010, Perkins is yet to drive for LDM.

Perkins says he was working on his family farm in rural Victoria when he received the call-up from Percat.

“It was a bit like Days of Thunder,” he said.

“I was sitting on the tractor up at the farm mid-harvest and I got the call from Nick to ask if I would drive.

“We’ve been busy with barley and wheat on the farm this year, so I’ve been there three weeks and when I got the phone call I got on the UHF radio to Dad and told him I’d be going to Sydney instead of finishing the harvest.

“I’m really happy to help out Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport, and thanks to the Holden Racing Team and Holden for giving me a chance to jump in another Commodore.

“I’m just looking forward to doing a good job and getting some solid results at Homebush.”

The 29-year-old is expected to return to the HRT for next year’s Pirtek Enduro Cup alongside star driver Courtney.

Percat meanwhile will attend Sydney to support Perkins and the team.

“I hate missing another race, but I am feeling pretty average and couldn’t give the 100 per cent required so there’s little point in trying to race,” he said.

“I need to fully recover, so I am happy for Jack to fill in for me this weekend. He’s going to do a great job, while I’ll turn my focus towards 2016.”

kennymiesta
Clerk of Course
Clerk of Course

Post by kennymiesta » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:38 pm

I'm curious as to who they are going to bolt into their second car now that Blanchard has headed over to BJR. Will they bring in someone with $$$ or someone with speed.

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official

Post by robhealy86 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:06 pm

kennymiesta wrote:I'm curious as to who they are going to bolt into their second car now that Blanchard has headed over to BJR. Will they bring in someone with $$$ or someone with speed.
It will be interesting to see who they choose, kenny. It is too late in the year to get another good main-game driver & from my point of view I can't really see anyone in the Dunlop Series that is worth giving a seat to on merit of talent alone (apart from PD or Waters). Andre Heimgartner is really the only guy who has speed & the potential to be a front runner. Also, most of the reasonably good pay drivers have already been snapped up by teams needing to top up the budget.

On another note, with Barry Hay saying there are a few big announcements to come out of LDM & Jack Perkins on loan from HRT (through instruction from Simon McNamara) to fill in for Nick Percat, could we see LDM moving to Walkinshaw equipment in 2016? It is no secret that the old 888 cars LDM are running now are getting long in the tooth & LDM are wanting to upgrade equipment & employ more staff. I may be putting 2 & 2 together and getting 4 1/2 but Walkinshaw are dropping back to two cars & letting go some staff. If not LDM will now be essentially a fourth string 888 team behind RBRA, Tekno & Schwerkolt.

kennymiesta
Clerk of Course
Clerk of Course

Post by kennymiesta » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:04 pm

robhealy86 wrote:On another note, with Barry Hay saying there are a few big announcements to come out of LDM & Jack Perkins on loan from HRT (through instruction from Simon McNamara) to fill in for Nick Percat, could we see LDM moving to Walkinshaw equipment in 2016? It is no secret that the old 888 cars LDM are running now are getting long in the tooth & LDM are wanting to upgrade equipment & employ more staff. I may be putting 2 & 2 together and getting 4 1/2 but Walkinshaw are dropping back to two cars & letting go some staff. If not LDM will now be essentially a fourth string 888 team behind RBRA, Tekno & Schwerkolt.
I hadnt thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. Walkinshaw now basically have two chassis not being used, they could probably set up an aliance of some sort and with all the staff probably loan some of them out also. Will be interesting to see what happens. I noticed today that Alex Rulleo (i think that is his name) will be in a LDM run Dunlop series car at the age of 15!! Not bad for a kid that young. From what I have seen of him in the Khumo series he can steer alright too

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official

Post by robhealy86 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:12 pm

kennymiesta wrote:
robhealy86 wrote:I hadnt thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. Walkinshaw now basically have two chassis not being used, they could probably set up an aliance of some sort and with all the staff probably loan some of them out also. Will be interesting to see what happens. I noticed today that Alex Rulleo (i think that is his name) will be in a LDM run Dunlop series car at the age of 15!! Not bad for a kid that young. From what I have seen of him in the Khumo series he can steer alright too
It was a thought that came to me last week after Barry Hay said a few big announcements will be made about LDM in the near future & Jack Perkins was announced as Percat's replacement. As I said Walkinshaw now have a few spare cars, personnel & are said to still have strong links with Percat - this may be a way to keep Nick warm for a HRT seat now the 3rd & 4th string Walkinshaw seats are gone. I'm sure Walkinshaw/Holden still has every intention of getting him back in an HRT seat at some point.

The latest I've heard in terms of the driver for the LDM #3 seat is that the team is in talks with an overseas driver. Does a New Zealand driver such as Andre Heimgartner count as an overseas driver I wonder? :grin: If not, I've got no idea who they're talking about but I do think they'll have to think very carefully about that considering how Alex Premat & Robert Dahlgren went - you have to allow 3-4 years for that to pay dividends I reckon.

As for Alex Rullo, I personally reckon 15 is slightly too early for a driven to take on a DVS drive but then again I thought the same about Scott McLaughlin when he first started. Hopefully Lucas Dumbrell sees this as a long-term development & doesn't expect much too soon which has contributed to LDM's difficulties in the past. I think stability is important for small teams to succeed in V8 Supercars - Lucas had a tendency to chop & change his drivers in the past. Patience will certainly be the key with Rullo.

robhealy86
Senior Official
Senior Official

Post by robhealy86 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:33 pm

I guess this answers my questions about Andre Heimgartner & if LDM were considering switching to Walkinshaw equipment for 2016.

Heimgartner leading race for second LDM seat

http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/12/14/hei ... -ldm-seat/

Andre Heimgartner has emerged as the front-runner for the second seat at Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport next season.

The Kiwi is one of several still in discussions with LDM to replace Tim Blanchard, who along with family owned sponsor Cooldrive will switch to Brad Jones Racing for 2016.

Heimgartner had enjoyed a promising rookie season at Super Black Racing before being replaced by countryman Chris Pither with two events remaining.

The move came amid a deal between Super Black, Pither and sponsor Ice Break for the Dunlop Series driver to take over the car full-time in 2016.

Heimgartner has been working on his own budget and is thought to be the strongest placed of those left in a market that also includes his co-driver Ant Pedersen and Erebus driver Ash Walsh.

The LDM drive and Walsh’s current seat at Erebus are the only uncertainties remaining among the 2016 grid following a busy silly season.

Dumbrell told Speedafe.com that he’s been impressed by 20-year-old Heimgartner’s efforts this season, but is in no rush to sign a deal.

“Heimgartner is in the mix, but nothing is done,” Dumbrell told Speedcafe.com.

“There’s a lot of guys out there and there’s still plenty of time to sort it out. We’ll just do it when it’s convenient.”

Graduating from the Dunlop Series, Heimgartner showed flashes of speed aboard Super Black’s highly successful FG X Falcon package during 2015.

Inconsistent performances, however, ensured he was just 23rd in the standings after his final race of the season at Pukekohe.

“He’s shown he’s got some talent,” noted Dumbrell.

“I think there were some times where he got roughed up a bit in the races and he learnt how tough it is pretty quickly.

“He did a good job. His car was clearly a rocket ship, but you still have to drive it and as a first year driver he scored some solid results.

“Ideally, he’d be great to put in the car, but it’s obviously a commercial decision as well.

“That’s not just the case for our team.

“It’s tough at the moment and almost every driver in this category now is tied to sponsorship in some way.”

In addition to locking down a team-mate for star driver Nick Percat, Dumbrell is also working to improve his team’s technical package for the new season.

Discussions continue to take place with KRE, which has been the long-time supplier to Triple Eight and Tekno Autosports.

LDM used KRE engines until midway through last year, where cost factors dictated a switch to Noonan Race Engines.

“It’s not done, but we’re talking,” said Dumbrell of a potential KRE deal.

“There’s a couple of different options and we’re working out costs and feasbility.”

Dumbrell also hopes to roll out a brand new Triple Eight-built car early next year, but admits it may not come online until after the opening event.

The three cars currently in the team’s fleet were all built by Triple Eight as part of its original batch of Car of the Future chassis ahead of the 2013 season.

“T8 obviously help us out already and we’re looking to spend a bit more with them,” said Dumbrell.

“We’ll ideally get another car off them for the start of the season, but they’ve got their own build plans to consider.”